Information blasting related to the Crossing Project:
- TEST BLASTS: Controlled test blasts will begin the week of July 10, weather permitting. There will be three test blasts, one blast per day. We anticipate test blasts to take place between 9:30 AM and 3:30 PM. Specific test blast dates are not yet confirmed.
- LONG-TERM BLASTING SCHEDULE: When the tests have been concluded, blasting through mid-2018 will occur up to 4-5 times per week (2-3 per week for the elevator shaft, 4-5 per week for the underground tunnel connecting the elevator to the Metrorail mezzanine).
- NO RUSH HOUR BLASTING: Blasting won’t occur during peak traffic hours (between 5:30 and 9:30 AM, and 3:30 and 7:30 PM), but could take place during non-peak hours in the daytime or during overnight hours. Advance notice of nighttime blasting will be provided.
- NO WEEKEND BLASTING PLANNED: No weekend blasting is currently planned but may be necessary under special circumstances. Advance notice of weekend blasting will be provided if necessary.
- MINIMAL VIBRATIONS: Very minimal ground vibrations may be felt by some persons.
- TRAFFIC CLOSURES FOR BLASTING: It is anticipated that intermittent traffic closures will only be necessary for the initial 4 to 5 weeks of blasting. The need for further traffic closures will be closely monitored during this 4 to 5-week period. Advance notice will be provided if it is necessary to continue the traffic closures beyond the 4 to 5-week period following the start of blasting.
- BLAST WARNING HORNS AND TRAFFIC CONTROL:
- There will be 5 long signals 5 minutes before the blast, and 10 short signals 1 minute before the blast.
- It is anticipated that only individuals in the project vicinity will hear blast warning horns.
- 5-10 minutes prior to blast, vehicle and pedestrian traffic will be stopped along Rockville Pike, between Jones Bridge Road and South Wood Drive (Navy Gate #2).
- An “All Clear” short horn signal will sound after blasting.
- 1 minute after blast, normal traffic resumes.
Military Installations / BRAC Coordinator
Office of the Montgomery County Executive
c/o MCDOT Div. of Transportation Engineering
100 Edison Park Drive, 4th Floor S.E.
Gaithersburg, MD 20878